Friday, February 8, 2013

Good morning, Starshine...

...the earth says "hello!"

Peppers are almost all the way in!  Except for the "baby belle" pepper. I get the feeling that it's going to fall into the same category as chives for me.  (Tiny backstory...I've started chives 3 times- nothing.  It has to be the seeds, right? RIGHT?)




Anyways....I'm pretty excited to get the greenhouse lid off of those and look out for the first leaves...especially since tomatoes are going to be started in ONE WEEK! Huzzah!! Most likely I'll be starting some chives and probably another baby belle as well. OH! And the balloon flowers!

In other news...we have some sprouts in the radish/carrot department! The kids are going to be SO excited. I don't really want to show them until they have all sprouted....but here are the biggest two -

watermelon radish:

Purple dragon carrot: 


Some of the snaps are getting second leaves....my little babies are getting so big! ::tear::



Oh and the limetree had some mold on the dirt.  WHY DID I LET IT CONVINCE ME TO WATER IT? I swear one of these days Levi Stubbs' voice is going to come singing out of it asking for blood and promising me a bunch of stuff.

Speaking of bloodthirsty plants....if you've never owned a Venus flytrap....do it.  I can't tell you how neat it is (for the children, of course) to squish a fly...and then feed it to the plant.


Back to the limetree- I took it outside for a second and looked at the drainage holes and realized I left the "self-watering" piece inside the planter....I'll be taking that out next warm day we have.  Not that it probably matters since I gouged extra drainage holes...but it also freaks me out to think there is a gap between the dirt and bottom of the planter where ANYTHING could be living.  ::shudder::  I'll be wearing gloves for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment