Tuesday, February 19, 2013

$*%&@ Chives!

I'm pretty sure I've said that at least once a day since the beginning of this gardening season.  Which was December 30th, 2012 when I started a couple basils and chives.  Basils grew beautifully, chives never sprouted.

Fast-forward to starting the snapdragons- threw some chives in the greenhouse, hoping to get them then.  No dice.  No chives for me. Here is a picture of the second failure...although I'm sure you had a pretty good guess what it looked like.


I was almost 100% sure that it was the pack of chives I got from Lowes...so I tossed them and bought a new pack. 7 days post sewing, I'm starting to give up hope of ever growing chives.


What I don't understand is how I grew so many last year.  Although I didn't thin properly and between the crowding and the extreme heat of last year, they did not make it. But, the point is- HOW DID I GET THEM TO COME UP LAST YEAR?


Well, I'm still hanging onto hope for the regular chives, but while I wait and hope and hope...and hope...I started some more seeds last night.  For the triangle bed in my driveway, I'm doing a border of celosia/cockscomb/brain flower...whatever you would like to call it.  So since they are a later bloomer than I would like- I am alternating them by starting half the border inside and direct sowing the other half when April comes. 


Also, I started pansies (late, I know.) and a couple spearmints- for the kids. My two, my niece and I made some sweet planters and the kids planted some spearmint in them- none of which came up.  So I'm started them under the light. Oh, and garlic chives. I will get chives.

Re-hydrating the pellets never gets old.


All sown!  Good luck and god-speed.  Especially to the chives.


I just love having so many stages of seedlings under the light!  The greenhouse, the open greenhouse sprouts, the recently repotted, and the gettin' bigger repots!



No comments:

Post a Comment