Thursday, February 7, 2013

Snap snap snapdragons...

So I have a crazy triangular bed that cuts my driveway into two sections....



It doesn't look that clean right now....but it will.  I made the mistake of planting giant marigolds and cosmos in it last year.  I say mistake because while it was beautiful for like 2 months...it became a mangled mess of super tall half-rotting flowers leaning over into my driveway.  Oh...and impossible to weed. So Kile (my husband) mowed over everything once it was all dead and then I swept all the leaves from the driveway into it...now it's a big ol' mess.

Anyways.  My plan for this year is to go all dwarf.  Easier to weed...less obtrusive to people walking in the driveway.  The border will be dwarf cockscomb (that's right.), and inside will be alternating rows of dwarf marigolds and dwarf snapdragons.  Cockscomb can be direct planted...marigolds start indoors about 4 weeks from last frost (April 15th)...but snaps need TWELVE WEEKS indoors before going out.  Luckily, I checked a calender before the twelve week mark had passed!

So, January 21st, the preschool crew and I started snapdragons....which came out 6 days later!


I wanted to wait for them to get their first true leaves before I thinned out...but the seeds were SO tiny that the crew (myself included) overplanted each cell.  So, very carefully, I thinned them out early (this past Monday the 4th)


Here's the crazy part- I had 4 seedlings with 3 cotyledon leaves.  I have NEVER seen that before, let alone wind up with 4 seedlings having it.  Of course, I kept those.


Well, three days later, pretty much all the seedlings have true leaves growing in quickly...but the odd part? Two of the four 3-cotyledon plants have THREE true leaves growing in.  


I'm beyond excited to see what these are going to do!  (And before you think any different- these have been brought up organically.  Only fertilizer that I've used is organic fish emulsions.)

No comments:

Post a Comment