Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Trees!

I have had a lime tree since last April.  It's amazing and I love it and want to hug it....but refrain because citrus trees have thorns.  BIG ones.  It's about 4 or 4 1/2 feet tall with pot included. My gnome Duncan watches after it. He has a frog.


Anyhoo....about a month ago, I bought a variegated pink lemon tree (which has even bigger thorns than the lime tree).  It is wonderful and I love it too. It's guarded by Fargus, Duncan's friend. He has a bird.


They're also guarded by Hula.



Well, they both have flower buds on them!! Which means....I'm probably going to need a new tubtrug to carry all the lemons and limes, right?



Limetree and Lemontree should be heading back outside probably in 2 months, depending on weather. 

You're probably wondering what that crazy looking cinnamon-colored stripes are in the dirt of the trees...well- it's cinnamon.  The reason?  I left the Limetree out until about mid January (it was not very cold here).  I gave it a good fertilizing with some Citrus-tone and then intended on bringing it in after it got a good rain-watering. Well, it kept raining and raining and raining and just as I was hoping for sunshine to dry it out before I brought it in- low, low temps were in the forecast. So it HAD to come in.  Lemontree dried out pretty quick, but as you can imagine...limetree was pretty soaked in that 25 gallon pot. So it ended up with mold. All over the top of the dirt. I had to scrape it out and then run a fan on it.  Also- and the total point of this story....cinnamon acts as an antifungal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment