Thursday, February 28, 2013

End of February Tour

Yesterday, I had a basil scare.  I was nearly convinced it had downy mildew somehow and was literally ready to trash every plant in my house and sit in the corner and cry.  Luckily, Gail talked me through it and it wasn't even downy mildew, just mold- probably brought in from the citrus trees.  The morale of that story is- whether it's you or your plant that is sick, don't Google.

I spent this morning weeding some of the flower beds that were...just...brutal. I got half a black trash bag of weeds. 

Anyhoo, I took some updated pictures of the plants!
Here is the forest of Snapdragons.  I'm interested to see what colors I will end up with. The plants look very different from each other, which is extremely interesting (I purchased a dwarf mix).  Next year I might go the route of selecting a few varieties and being able to know which plant is which variety. 


The peppers are working on their third and fourth sets of true leaves.  The first picture is a purple jalapeno.  I don't think I'll ever give up this variety of pepper- the flavor of the pepper is outstanding and the plants are unique with their purple highlights.




My itty bitty Komachis are getting their first true leaves!  They were so tiny when I transplanted them that it's relieving to see the new leaves coming in!


Brain flowers liking their new homes! (One of the ones I kept has three cotyledon! Stoked!)



More pansies coming in.  If I hadn't been weeding this morning, I would've been potting these bad-boys up!


Primrose and spinach popping through! I want the rest of the greenhouse to pop up- I just got the shipping notification from Burpee on the last of my flower seeds for the year ;)


I forgot all about posting about this.  Last year I had a "conjoined twin" brandywine.  Ultimately, we ended up calling it "Megaplant" and it was enormous.  This year, one of the Costolutos is conjoined as well...completely joined at the stem (not roots).  I know most people get rid of one of the twins, but I'm interested to see what it will do.  I like oddities...especially when it happens to organic, heirloom plants!


Leaves are coming in strong on the tomatoes!


Lime cluster on the lime tree....there are nine limes coming in here. Second picture is a different cluster.  There are more, but you get the idea!


Poor lemontree. It sits lower to the ground than the limetree, so literally every time we walk by, we knock into it.  I've knocked off no less than three flowers, Kile (my husband) has knocked off a bunch, and if it isn't us- Hula has been chewing on it occasionally.  It wants to fruit, but apparently we aren't going to let it.  




No comments:

Post a Comment