Monday, March 18, 2013

How-to Drainage

Container gardening is super mega awesome, but there's one thing I've learned in the years I've been doing it....you need appropriate drainage.  Between the holes in the bottom and the soil mix you use inside.  Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely the same person that couldn't figure out what was yellowing my basil last year- only to realize I had left all the holes in the bottom of the container unpunched, but some big losses in the past few years have taught me to keep a better eye on what I'm doing.

Always always always poke plenty of holes.  Biggish holes. Most pots have them ready to be punched out....but it's always easier said than done. 


For planters sitting on the dirt ground where water would likely have trouble draining quickly, it's a good idea to put drainage rocks in the bottom- or you can sit the pot up on the deck or patio and the rocks won't be necessary. Since both of these pots are going on the dirt, rocks for them both! 


Then, for the dirt- you'll want to use a potting mix that allows better drainage.  Garden soil can pack down in a pot and make it tough to drain adequately.  Potting mix has mulch mixed in to thin it out and prevent too much "packing". this pot is all done!


The barrel for the beets did not get done and now it's rained for three days.  Hopefully the weather will cooperate....we're coming up on the "last frost date"!


No comments:

Post a Comment