Thursday, March 7, 2013

Never a dull moment!

Well, this isn't incredibly exciting, but- I brought the rosemary plant inside middle of January to avoid the deep frost that week- not really thinking about it being "evergreen" and all.  So it chilled in my 72* house for a couple weeks before I decided it was time to set it back outside....in the 40* average degree weather.  Obviously, it seemed pretty angry about the switcheroo I was trying to pull.  So the new growth slumped over and the leaves turned brown a little.  I pulled it back inside. It's been about a week or two and the leaves are starting to return to their normal green. There's still brown on most of the leaves, but lots of new growth, so I feel good about that.

Anyways...yesterday Hula decides to flip the entire pot.  Seriously, cats+gardening=disaster a lot of times.  I need to get better about taking pictures before I clean.  Luckily the plant didn't suffer any damage and it gave me an excuse to put some new dirt in the pot and give it a good fish emulsioning.

Here the pot is almost empty...check out all that beautiful bright green growth.  I swear, this rosemary plant is spoiled rotten.  An evergreen refusing winter  ::sigh::.


All better!


In other gardening news, I have my cart loaded with some new things to try.  I say loaded very loosely- two things. Right now I'm looking at the Garlic Grow Bag and the Carrot Grow Bag at Gardener's Supply Company.  I love this idea- especially since I could use the garlic bag for a while for radishes and then when it's time to do garlic this fall, just load it up (since radishes will long be done).  I think I'll place the order today- worth a try, right?  I thought about doing potatoes, but I don't know if I want to this year- I haven't really had time to evaluate my space outdoors yet and the clock is ticking for potatoes.  Anytime it's been somewhat warm enough to be outside (i.e. over 45*), I've been weeding the flower beds.  You never know, though, I've been known to walk into Lowes and change my mind instantly!

No comments:

Post a Comment