Sunday, March 3, 2013

A-ha!

So earlier today I transplanted the snapdragons to 18oz solo cups.  They needed it, badly.  But I'll get to that.

First- I want to talk about what I did first thing this afternoon....potted down the limetree. I know, I know, sounds crazy, no?  But, the fact is- I was having moisture problems.  All the sudden, I saw them. The fungus gnats. I had just scraped off some white mold from the edges of the pot the other day and now this.  Why was I having so many problems? Finally, it dawned on me. Thinking back to when I changed the soil in the pot the first time, I remembered how small the rootball was.  The problem wasn't the amount I was watering, or the air circulation or any of that.  The root (hehe) of the problem was the fact there was so much dirt around the plant that the roots couldn't feasibly suck up the water when I gave it a watering.  Water was just sitting around the plant. Thus, white mold, thus fungus gnats.  So...I potted down.  I took the limetree out, rinsed off the rootball as completely as I could, and replaced all the soil with brand new organic potting soil.  A much better fit for the rootball size.  I had intended on taking a bunch of sweet pictures while doing this....but found it already in the pot with new dirt by the time I remembered the camera sitting next to me.  So here's lime tree in its new pot. The gardening lesson to take away from this is: when it comes to indoor plants, bigger pot is not always better.

Okay, onto the snapdragons.  So, being a slightly irresponsible gardener at times...I was hoping I wouldn't have to transplant these.  But, as you can imagine, they outgrew their pots. And how.  So I pulled out the solo cups.  I wish I had had ones that were a teensy bit smaller, but the snaps will be happy. Kile bought me an awl for my birthday to poke holes in my cups, so it was a breeze this time!


I even thought logically about it and poked them from inside out....thus creating little plastic "stands" to keep the cup from rest down on the plastic! (Using plastic dropcloth to cover the table).


Here is the jungle of snapdragons.  They are a dwarf variety...but at 6 weeks old, they aren't looking very dwarf.


Poor babies.  Next year, I'll pot you up sooner.  I didn't realize they'd get so big so fast!


Zack helping me out.  A gardener in the making.  Arielle came and helped too...but it was after both my hands were covered in dirt, so no pictures.


Some of the colors on the underside of the leaves!  I'm excited to see what colors I've ended up with!




The spot on the table!  


All potted up...and not looking like they'll fit in that spot.  Sure enough, not really.  I made it work though.  Looks like I'll be rotating frequently. Whoopsy!


No comments:

Post a Comment