Monday, March 11, 2013

Lemon tree!

So, in passing (okay hovering) of my lemon tree, I notice a gnat flying around.  Upon further investigation, some tiny bugs in the soil. Ahhhhhhh. After I calmed my initial reaction to throw it off the side of the deck, I began my research.  Pretty much everything I found suggested the dishsoap/cooking oil insecticide.  So there you have it.  I pulled out a spray bottle, but a few drops of dishsoap and a few drops of cooking oil and filled it with water- and started spraying the soil. I didn't take any pictures, because, well....I couldn't focus enough on the bugs.

I know the bugs are no big deal because a) there is no leaf or stem damage and b) anything it could be dwells in soil...so in there they will stay and c) there really weren't that many.  Nevertheless, it needed to be controlled.  Can I just say I'm counting down the days until the trees go outside for the warm weather.  And the lime tree needs to be fertilized but I need to let the soil dry out. Grr.

The lesson to be taken from this?  When the plants are ready to come back inside after the summer, they are getting some drainage rocks at the bottom, fresh soil and sand on the top of the soil.  This is once again proof how gardening is a whole slew of trial and error and no matter how good you feel about something, you're always thrown a curveball. Hopefully, I'll be rewarded with some lovely ripe lemons and limes relatively soon.

My friend Lindsay had sent me a picture of some really cool fake wood barrel looking pots.  Such a cool idea.  So while Kile stopped at Lowe's today, I insisted he grab me one.  It.is.fabulous.  Seriously cute as a button.  I think I'm going to put the beets in it.  Hopefully I'll be making some borscht this summer!


No comments:

Post a Comment